Thursday, 15 October 2020

Extremism vs identity

 I had a chat that turned slightly uncomfortable yday and today morning with 2 different people. One person (a Hindu friend who is an atheist) and another friend - a christian evangelist. :-) Irony of life when you have chats like that- almost like a cosmic joke.

I never took a stand in either of these chats because I know I would be judged or worse- examined in the court. 

1. Was Godhra correct? No.

2. Was Babri masjid destruction OK? No.

3. Was 9/11 ok? No.

4. Armenia Vs Azarbaijan ok? No. 

5. Kashmir decision Ok? No.

My point being where are religious doctrines here? Why would someone's identity/faith or belief system be questioned when a person sticks to their faith- even when it's blind? Is my faith bothering my spouse? As long as it's mine, we are good. 

If it's not, then there's something wrong. What's wrong? 

1. Religious gathering is wrong. (esp in the name of prayers. They are personal)

2. Hate speeches and destruction-no matter the religion is wrong.

3. Religious institutions engaging in corruption is wrong.

4. Twitterati taking stands like mob is wrong. 

In all of this, why am I indulging in a chat that is questioning my personal belief? Why is this even right? 

Why has religion become a collective activity? Why dont I have the choice to be and wear my identity if I have to?- religion agnostic? 

Religion is absolutely wrong if I thrust it on someone else. Or if I tell others' are shit. Or if I go and slay heads or blast sites. Or demolish places.

Meh? Heck I am a bordering pantheist who thinks there's god even in a stone and I shall take an Aarti to it. Oh yes, I have a special affinity to Hindu gods.


No comments:

Post a Comment