Friday, 22 May 2015

Chakravakam

Also called Ahir bhairav in the other house that the raga likes living in. There are huge stories that ragas tell. Even without being in the form of a song, composition, or lyrics. I am especially not a great fan of raga malika, which are songs where ragas are mixed.

The fundamental structure of raga itself emotes and gives it a shape. In the same way that hamsa nandi is for angst, subha panthuvarali is for sadness, kalyani for happiness, mohana for romance, chakravakam emotes too. I consciously veered away from google for this one. I formed my own opinion on this without bias. If it matches with the generic opinion, I am probably right in the eyes of the rest of the world. If it does not, then it means I am right in my own eyes. It is more precious to me.

Chakaravakam reminds me. Reminds me of memories which are heavy. Which are intense while they last. Exhausting. Not always dark. But not light hearted. They are around some important debates in my life, some I won, most I lost. They are about close friends, of friendships that have drifted apart. Are they negative? Perhaps, but its just another view.

My fav classical song of chakravakam has to be pibare rama rasam. Hands down.

Some of the more popular songs include Albela sajan aayo re, tu hi re from Bombay (remember the interlude where Manisha K runs and her burkha gets stuck to the tree?? The aalaap there is my fav piece), telugu song called ye nadu vidi poni (my fav movie song in this raga).

Here is to all the heavy moments that I have had in my life. The moments themselves are not bad. They contributed to my evolution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment