I met a gentleman on a flight to Delhi a few days back. Looked very sophisticated and had a happy chat with me thru out the flight. And them wrote me a very nice note (those notes really make you smile). I am not writing the contents of the note, but he and I met again very recently again. He then mentioned to me that who we become are broadly because of our experiences and what we stand for- opinions and views.
I pondered about that statement. Not that I dont know- but think about it hard. Is that who we all are? Have become a slave to our own thought processes? Doesnt this make us more and more confined and narrow in our minds?
Like 3 days back I was talking to another friend who mocked at my taste in music. Nudging me that there's better music around the world. I listened to the song he played to prove his point. And I agreed. There's better music. There's better books. There's better many things. I wont debate on it. My taste in a lot of things are terrible too (if I had to pick a scale). Yes- I grew up with different exposure and I still try and learn. Hear stuff.
What I dont get is to make the creator responsible for not creating beautiful things. It is unfair to haul him/her up and tell them that they can experiment more. They are mere human beings end of the day. They have the same set of weaknesses (if not more) as another human being. Same set of insecurities- only scale is different. Like if you have an EMI of a 3 bhk in Blr, then chances are that guy also has an EMI of his mansion in LA.
We are the "rasikas" who would review to death but will never budge from our high stands to see what real human beings are like. We will continue to judge them. Continue to beat them for not making good music or writing good books.
Like I dont like Chetan Bhagat- but I must admit that I found Five point someone very very related to my life at that point in time. Yes- the book is terribly written. But did not resonate with me- the subject I mean..? Yes the story eventually communicated to me. Does this make Bhagat a good writer? No. Does this make him a good story teller- A big fk-ing YES.
Same goes to a much talked movie- Arjun Reddy. Is Sandeep Reddy Vanga a good guy or a bad guy? I couldnt care less. Honestly. Does he make good movies- No. Is he a good film maker? A big fk-ing yes. He knows how to tell a story on a motion medium. He has the engagement of an audience for 3 hours.
Our world has become so obsessed with saying and doing the right things and so clinical that we forget sometimes that we are as flawed as the other person. We may have the right to review, but we dont have a right to judge another person for their values or lack of them. My point being this will only restrict our happiness and approach to life. We become more and more closed.
On a day like today, I have to admit that sometimes I go with the crowd sourced opinions to make me look more sophisticated and dont admit to a few things. I mean that is a problem with these psedo intellectual types. They would make you sound like an idiot for liking something that's very common.
Am I an idiot, then??? Oh yes. :-) A very happy one at that. I still find them gujju songs that they play at Dandiya a LOT of fun.
I pondered about that statement. Not that I dont know- but think about it hard. Is that who we all are? Have become a slave to our own thought processes? Doesnt this make us more and more confined and narrow in our minds?
Like 3 days back I was talking to another friend who mocked at my taste in music. Nudging me that there's better music around the world. I listened to the song he played to prove his point. And I agreed. There's better music. There's better books. There's better many things. I wont debate on it. My taste in a lot of things are terrible too (if I had to pick a scale). Yes- I grew up with different exposure and I still try and learn. Hear stuff.
What I dont get is to make the creator responsible for not creating beautiful things. It is unfair to haul him/her up and tell them that they can experiment more. They are mere human beings end of the day. They have the same set of weaknesses (if not more) as another human being. Same set of insecurities- only scale is different. Like if you have an EMI of a 3 bhk in Blr, then chances are that guy also has an EMI of his mansion in LA.
We are the "rasikas" who would review to death but will never budge from our high stands to see what real human beings are like. We will continue to judge them. Continue to beat them for not making good music or writing good books.
Like I dont like Chetan Bhagat- but I must admit that I found Five point someone very very related to my life at that point in time. Yes- the book is terribly written. But did not resonate with me- the subject I mean..? Yes the story eventually communicated to me. Does this make Bhagat a good writer? No. Does this make him a good story teller- A big fk-ing YES.
Same goes to a much talked movie- Arjun Reddy. Is Sandeep Reddy Vanga a good guy or a bad guy? I couldnt care less. Honestly. Does he make good movies- No. Is he a good film maker? A big fk-ing yes. He knows how to tell a story on a motion medium. He has the engagement of an audience for 3 hours.
Our world has become so obsessed with saying and doing the right things and so clinical that we forget sometimes that we are as flawed as the other person. We may have the right to review, but we dont have a right to judge another person for their values or lack of them. My point being this will only restrict our happiness and approach to life. We become more and more closed.
On a day like today, I have to admit that sometimes I go with the crowd sourced opinions to make me look more sophisticated and dont admit to a few things. I mean that is a problem with these psedo intellectual types. They would make you sound like an idiot for liking something that's very common.
Am I an idiot, then??? Oh yes. :-) A very happy one at that. I still find them gujju songs that they play at Dandiya a LOT of fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment