Thursday, 9 February 2017

142 - Devdasi...

On a day like today, I ponder over the concept of devdasi. I read a lot about it in the recent past and I wondered what would drive human beings to do this. (not as a clan/caste, but in spirit- as in truly thinking you are born to serve god).

And realized that we all also are 'dasis' (servants) in some way or the other to some one or the other. And I write this not in sarcasm. I write this because I believe we are all slaves to a lot of things- materialistic and non-materialistic.

We are dasis to monies. People. Family members. And again on days like today, I wonder what do we expect in return? As in what is our motivation to do this? Is it just satisfaction? Or peer pressure? Acceptance? Self realization? Better choices? Good decisions? Emotional Dependence? Overcome weakness? Strengths? Superior advantage?

Are we just prone to being dasis? Like the DNA- does it make us depend on someone for faith? Or because we do want to genuinely give ourselves up for someone? Is this true? Does it exist?

And why is the universe so powerful suddenly that it sees the need to have dasis around? (read in a larger context. It includes all things like dependencies, addiction, slavery, servants- getting the broader philosophy?).

Just from the context of universe, think about this. There is a vast area of land desperately waiting for some water (read rains). The land is dry. It looks all wrong without a trace of water in it's life in a long long time. Ironically it has become a dasi to the nature trying to do everything to please the god of rain to show some return. Desperation. And the day it got tired of doing it's job, there is a sudden outburst of rain. And yes, the land collected all of the rain. As much as it gave. As much as it came. BUT, the timing was weird. Land needed some rest around the time. But the dasi that it was, it never really had choice to wait. It just had to soak up all the rain till it lasted.

Thing is the land never knew when the rain would show its' presence again. It's not like it rains every time the land dried up.

Wasnt the land a slave to the mother nature? Doesnt it feel like universe truly created classes?

So... do we accept this bitter truth? Or is my perspective all wrong? (I almost wish it were the latter).


No comments:

Post a Comment