Poornamada Poornamidam
Poornaat poornamudachyate
Poornasya Poornamaadaaya
Poornamevavasishyate
If my life can tell me my story of evolution in the last 15 years, all I have to do is patiently sit and write down the changes of my perception of the meaning of these lines over the years.
Today, I'd like to think I have understood this better than ever. Today I also think the upanishad which this sloka belongs to (I think Yajurveda) is eternal. And for the first time I also think that while vedas have been left to interpretation most of the times, I have a theory that it was written with an intention to guide so we can live a very evolved life. So maybe it is not meant for open interpretations? Maybe today I feel I got the meaning of this exactly like how the writer thought. How the universe thought.
You have an attachment to the entire universe and yet your journey is a very detached one. Like Krishna in Mahabharat... He belonged to the war field in Kurukshetra, and yet he was a detached man. Confusing??
Think hard. I think (maybe I know) that a being should be completely in sync with the world around. Have that special relationship with the universe. Help move people those inches. And in this context the whole universe and the beings in it will be the family. It doesnt need to begin and end in our houses. Or our intermediate/known family. BUT, the soul is a loner. Despite all the ties we have we have that one tie with ourselves- our soul that still needs nourishment. But, both these phases need not be complimentary. See how much I am struggling to write what I want to say?
The 4 lines above say this so much more beautifully than my amateurish philosophy.
While I am many miles away from a life like this I intend to pursue such a life- day after day.
Poornaat poornamudachyate
Poornasya Poornamaadaaya
Poornamevavasishyate
If my life can tell me my story of evolution in the last 15 years, all I have to do is patiently sit and write down the changes of my perception of the meaning of these lines over the years.
Today, I'd like to think I have understood this better than ever. Today I also think the upanishad which this sloka belongs to (I think Yajurveda) is eternal. And for the first time I also think that while vedas have been left to interpretation most of the times, I have a theory that it was written with an intention to guide so we can live a very evolved life. So maybe it is not meant for open interpretations? Maybe today I feel I got the meaning of this exactly like how the writer thought. How the universe thought.
You have an attachment to the entire universe and yet your journey is a very detached one. Like Krishna in Mahabharat... He belonged to the war field in Kurukshetra, and yet he was a detached man. Confusing??
Think hard. I think (maybe I know) that a being should be completely in sync with the world around. Have that special relationship with the universe. Help move people those inches. And in this context the whole universe and the beings in it will be the family. It doesnt need to begin and end in our houses. Or our intermediate/known family. BUT, the soul is a loner. Despite all the ties we have we have that one tie with ourselves- our soul that still needs nourishment. But, both these phases need not be complimentary. See how much I am struggling to write what I want to say?
The 4 lines above say this so much more beautifully than my amateurish philosophy.
While I am many miles away from a life like this I intend to pursue such a life- day after day.
No comments:
Post a Comment