Tuesday, 17 December 2019

The difference between the two worlds

I struggle with double standards. Whatever are the reasons. I can rationalize to some extent. But. I struggle with double standards. Yea- I know I said it. But here goes- it is a greatest sign of inequality that can be possible within ourselves.

1. Like the candle march and the torches we hold for rape victims. And then come home and abuse (of all kinds) our families.
2. Like claim we are equal people but have different theories between a girl and a boy child. (football for a boy is ok but music is not)- even better is my son is not interested in music. He is not inclined. (we are broadly ok with that theory because well- anyway boys dont need to learn music). Like not giving dolls to boys. Because boys dont need dolls, but they need cars. Sure do. I am not even going to start with what girls get and dont get.
3. We advise people not to marry but we ourselves wont really walk away from it (I am a culprit in this business too).
4. We claim in a tall order that we are liberated people. And well- we know who we all are- dont we?
5. We treat our maids and household help with disrespect and we talk about teaching our kids respect.
6. We dont have patience with the older generation but we expect our kids to listen to us.
7. We are better people- than the average. Always. That's what we like to think about ourselves.

A friend of mine, a very old lady who I bump into invariably in most of the concerts I attend once laughingly told me- there's no good wife or good husband. There's just a marriage. And then there is a wife and then there is a husband. That's all. And she said these are two separate worlds and marriage is the difference between them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment