I love my job. Really. It gives me very rare opportunities that I may otherwise never would have encountered.
Like. A road trip to Kottayam from Cochin. And when I am in Cochin..... :-) :-)
I took a rick in the evening and ventured out around the time when Mr Sun was all set to set.
I watched the movie Kumbalangi nights and I wondered if the village was real. And then when I realized it was 7 Km away from the place I was staying AND realized it was REAL, well- I had to scratch that itch.
My first entry into Kumbalangi was when I crossed a tiny bridge and suddenly there was a green arch from all sides of the road literally like a canopy. And then an array of "cheeni vala"- the chinese fishing nets. And a small board on the side of the road almost at the exit of the bridge which said, "Kumbalanagi Knights". :-)
Knights. Nights. Sights. Right???
As the rickety rick took me into the by lanes of the village, I couldnt but be mesmerized with the silence and peace of the village. He gave a commentary of the village with a heave Mallu accent trying his best to make me understand. And then finally with pride, he showed me a church at Kumbalangi where a mass was in progress. And said, even during weekdays, they attend evening service that happens daily. Not just on Sunday. Ahem.
He then showed me a few home stays and again with pride said, "this is very verrrrry expensive- 10k per night". And then off we go further inside the lane. He stopped for a few minutes and asked me to take a walk around a small run down place.
I was first skeptical if I should venture into that mushy, marshy land. Curiosity thankfully didnt kill me that moment and I slowly walked thru the lane only to suddenly see a breath taking view of my life- that will last a life time. A HUGE expanse of back waters with atleast a 100 of the famous cheeni vala. And silence. And crabs. :-) Tiny red colored crabs all around. Tall coconut trees grooving to the breeze.
Seriously. That's Kumbalangi sights for you. For me.
The once thing that I couldnt help noticing (maybe judging) was the fact that ducks and chickens- all of them looked so healthy and colorful. :-) I dont think they know that they will be the first ones to go the next day morning onto a plate. :-) From the fire.
And then the auto fellow takes me back to Cochin. And tells me, "Madam, my village- Kumbalangi, you like?" in his broken English.
Of course, me like!! :-)
Like. A road trip to Kottayam from Cochin. And when I am in Cochin..... :-) :-)
I took a rick in the evening and ventured out around the time when Mr Sun was all set to set.
I watched the movie Kumbalangi nights and I wondered if the village was real. And then when I realized it was 7 Km away from the place I was staying AND realized it was REAL, well- I had to scratch that itch.
My first entry into Kumbalangi was when I crossed a tiny bridge and suddenly there was a green arch from all sides of the road literally like a canopy. And then an array of "cheeni vala"- the chinese fishing nets. And a small board on the side of the road almost at the exit of the bridge which said, "Kumbalanagi Knights". :-)
Knights. Nights. Sights. Right???
As the rickety rick took me into the by lanes of the village, I couldnt but be mesmerized with the silence and peace of the village. He gave a commentary of the village with a heave Mallu accent trying his best to make me understand. And then finally with pride, he showed me a church at Kumbalangi where a mass was in progress. And said, even during weekdays, they attend evening service that happens daily. Not just on Sunday. Ahem.
He then showed me a few home stays and again with pride said, "this is very verrrrry expensive- 10k per night". And then off we go further inside the lane. He stopped for a few minutes and asked me to take a walk around a small run down place.
I was first skeptical if I should venture into that mushy, marshy land. Curiosity thankfully didnt kill me that moment and I slowly walked thru the lane only to suddenly see a breath taking view of my life- that will last a life time. A HUGE expanse of back waters with atleast a 100 of the famous cheeni vala. And silence. And crabs. :-) Tiny red colored crabs all around. Tall coconut trees grooving to the breeze.
Seriously. That's Kumbalangi sights for you. For me.
The once thing that I couldnt help noticing (maybe judging) was the fact that ducks and chickens- all of them looked so healthy and colorful. :-) I dont think they know that they will be the first ones to go the next day morning onto a plate. :-) From the fire.
And then the auto fellow takes me back to Cochin. And tells me, "Madam, my village- Kumbalangi, you like?" in his broken English.
Of course, me like!! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment