There was a letter doing rounds in the school. A single ruled paper torn off from a book was used as a base to scribble that secret. Access to that secret was highly classified. Nobody knew what it was about except the author herself. She refused to give it to her non-friends. I was amongst one.
I was always a sucker for secret anything. The unknown bits intrigued me to death. The only way to unearth that was to be-friend her. My values were better than the temporary friendship which never begun. I shared no chemistry with her. I went under cover during the sports period praying nobody else stayed back in the class.
Curiosity killed all values. I stole the letter from the gutters of her tattered bag. I wont even bother mentioning the contents. Suffice to say, the P&G folks would have had a field day. Safe in the pocket of my skirt, I ran out and decided to read it at home in full privacy. The destination was not miles, but hours away. It weighed too much in my pocket. I was worried it might cause a hole.
School washrooms are the only next best places to do anything dirty (incase you havent figured, nature's calls are dirty esp in schools). Safely locked in one of them, with the stench surrounding me, I opened the letter. Silence for the next few minutes. I could not believe it. I read and re-read and realized that the contents were not going to change, no matter how many times I read it.
I tore it to pieces and flushed it. I opened the door. The stench still surrounded me. The world did not change. My inner world changed. I was wiser. The bees buzzing around the flowers made more sense.
I knew how babies were born. It was not out of thunder struck nights. Nerd in me understood sex. And decided, nobody else should carry the weight of this secret. Letter was no more.
I was always a sucker for secret anything. The unknown bits intrigued me to death. The only way to unearth that was to be-friend her. My values were better than the temporary friendship which never begun. I shared no chemistry with her. I went under cover during the sports period praying nobody else stayed back in the class.
Curiosity killed all values. I stole the letter from the gutters of her tattered bag. I wont even bother mentioning the contents. Suffice to say, the P&G folks would have had a field day. Safe in the pocket of my skirt, I ran out and decided to read it at home in full privacy. The destination was not miles, but hours away. It weighed too much in my pocket. I was worried it might cause a hole.
School washrooms are the only next best places to do anything dirty (incase you havent figured, nature's calls are dirty esp in schools). Safely locked in one of them, with the stench surrounding me, I opened the letter. Silence for the next few minutes. I could not believe it. I read and re-read and realized that the contents were not going to change, no matter how many times I read it.
I tore it to pieces and flushed it. I opened the door. The stench still surrounded me. The world did not change. My inner world changed. I was wiser. The bees buzzing around the flowers made more sense.
I knew how babies were born. It was not out of thunder struck nights. Nerd in me understood sex. And decided, nobody else should carry the weight of this secret. Letter was no more.
No comments:
Post a Comment