https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oQI0TngMm_0 ... If you check this video, you will find the title of my post apt.
Unfortunately, it comes to light that no woman or LOT (almost all) women dont talk about 'those days' of the month. We have brilliant euphemisims to cover up the dirty (Oh shit, I used the word- will be back after dipping in Ganga) times. But sinners shalt be executed with an isolation period in a lot of religions. In the name of hygiene and cleanliness, we still fall for this silent treatment. But that untouchability and taboo in families will need a full, focused post for another day.
While Mr. Arunachalam M has brought to light the plight of rural women, to TED, I still wonder when the rest of us, the so called modern, broadminded, not to forget educated women who are able to buy the J&J and P&Gs are able to 'ask' for them confidently. I realized that picking them off the racks at a Hypercity in a discrete fashion with all the other groceries is the easiest way to buy sanitary pads. For an emergency this week, I had to rush to a med store. I was terrorized when I saw a bunch of male colleagues who I knew at work in the same counter buying medicines (or maybe condoms). But hey, if you know me, I aint a sissy.
I exactly was one. I ran out of the store. Hung around the area outside till the men left and then went back to buy them. The guy packed them the way they would in Kanchivaram or in Hyd or in some village. Rolled in a news paper with a black cover. Mumbai is no different. That is a laugh on me. The educated Indian woman. How old am I really?? You'd think by now we have all the experience in the world. :)
Unfortunately, it comes to light that no woman or LOT (almost all) women dont talk about 'those days' of the month. We have brilliant euphemisims to cover up the dirty (Oh shit, I used the word- will be back after dipping in Ganga) times. But sinners shalt be executed with an isolation period in a lot of religions. In the name of hygiene and cleanliness, we still fall for this silent treatment. But that untouchability and taboo in families will need a full, focused post for another day.
While Mr. Arunachalam M has brought to light the plight of rural women, to TED, I still wonder when the rest of us, the so called modern, broadminded, not to forget educated women who are able to buy the J&J and P&Gs are able to 'ask' for them confidently. I realized that picking them off the racks at a Hypercity in a discrete fashion with all the other groceries is the easiest way to buy sanitary pads. For an emergency this week, I had to rush to a med store. I was terrorized when I saw a bunch of male colleagues who I knew at work in the same counter buying medicines (or maybe condoms). But hey, if you know me, I aint a sissy.
I exactly was one. I ran out of the store. Hung around the area outside till the men left and then went back to buy them. The guy packed them the way they would in Kanchivaram or in Hyd or in some village. Rolled in a news paper with a black cover. Mumbai is no different. That is a laugh on me. The educated Indian woman. How old am I really?? You'd think by now we have all the experience in the world. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment